Thursday, April 5, 2007

Abba, Father

Part of my study this week focused on Jesus being the first to refer to God as “Abba” literally calling him Father or Daddy. This is always a great encouragement to me as the daughter in a nearly estranged relationship with my own father. Regardless of the misconceptions and hurts I may carry as a result of this relationship, I am comforted by the knowledge that God desires to be my perfect father. How humbling to know the God of the universe thinks of me as His precious daughter.

Interestingly, I learned today something about Barabbas, the criminal that the crowds chose to release instead of Jesus. The name Barabbas means “son of the father.” How ironic that he was released and the true Son of God (of our Heavenly Father) was sent to His death. How easily we are lead astray and fooled by false men!

This week, coming upon the greatest event in all of human history, I am both humbled and captivated by God's love for us. Truly- how great is our God! Despite my growing awareness of the depth of my unworthiness, He gently reminds me that I am more cherished and more accepted that I could ever comprehend.

No comments: