Thursday, May 17, 2007

Masks

1 Samuel 12:1-14 describes Nathan confronting David, the King of Israel, about orchestrating the death of Uriah the Hittite in order to take his wife, Bathsheba. God used to Nathan and his relationship with David as a vessel to bring David to repentance. My reading today looked at this story and asked if we have someone in our lives who can confront us with the truth about our sin. It also suggested a couple reasons we may not have that relationship in our lives- no one suspects our sins (we are talented hypocrites) or no one knows enough (or cares enough) about us or our lives.

Personally, I am saddened to think either I have perfected hypocrisy to the point that no one in my life can see my sins or that I am not willing to let people in enough to either see it or care to confront it. Even when I can not point out my own sins, as we often do not realize our failings ourselves, I know that I fall short all the time. In my words and actions, I can see places where I have mountains of growing left. So honestly it scares me to think that I'm not sure I have a "Nathan" (or Nathana?) who would both see my sin & be willing to bring it to my attention as well.

So my prayer for the week is thus:

Lord search me again. Open my eyes to areas that I may have unconfessed sin, whether directly or through wise counsel. Help me to be able to remove any masks I am holding onto. Make my friendships and my home group open venues for you to work in my life. Lead me to know where to invest my life so that I too may be a vessel for your use.

No comments: