Thursday, May 31, 2007

Campfire Conversations

"Friendship is a strong and habitual inclination in two persons to promote the good and happiness of one another." -- Eustace Budgell (1711)

One of the highlights of this past weekend was sitting outside around the fire with friends, just chatting about random things. Our conversation did turn to dating (no surprise, as all of those who stayed late were single girls). It had been some time since I'd had one of those types of discussions. For the most part, I am enjoying where God has me right now. I love my friends- they keep me grounded and we rarely have a dull moment. I am serving in my local church-where I am both encouraged and challenged. I adore my family- they love me unconditionally and don't pressure me to live up to culture's standards. So it's healthier for me to not dwell on when/if I will marry or what he may or may not be like. But there is something relaxing, dare I say inherently magical about gathering around a fire. Naturally, we began to speak of our hopes and desires for the future. Things we were not willing to compromise on, and secret ways we hoped our husbands would add to our lives. Coming at the end of weekend full of friends and family, I began to realize some previously unknown expectations I have for my future husband. I'm not sure yet if God used this weekend to bring this to my attention in order to affirm them or modify them. But now they are out in the open and can be dealt with and prayed about. I am also starting to understand how amazing these women are that God has put in my life. It is freeing to know how much they love me and that we are all looking out for each others best interests in this area.

Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends. -- Czech. Proverb

"Two are better than one; because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend cam help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

1 comment:

Mimi Lenox said...

Many bloggers, including WW participants, will be flying Peace Globes in the blogosphere on Wednesday, June 6, 2007. It is BlogBlast for Peace day - the second annual event. Please consider using your Wordless Wednesday platforms on this day to participate. You can find more information about the movement at Mimi Writes or BlogBlast for Peace
http://mimiwrites.blogspot.com or http://mimilenox.blogspot.com
Thanks and peace!
Mimi