Friday, June 15, 2007

Longing


Earlier this afternoon, I came across a blog entry that I saved last month, I thought, for a friend. Now just a few weeks later, God has used it to speak to me. Though I have felt a bit lost these last few weeks, I know there exists in me a desire for more. A longing to see God's glory again, to feel His presence in my life and in my relationships. I have found much encouragement in the following statements:
"Even if your inner motions are presently sluggish, lethargic, and barren, are they nevertheless not there?--namely, displeasure about your condition, and a desire to be lively in all spiritual exercises... Is not your deadness your greatest burden? Wherever there is feeling there is life. Since you are therefore sensitive to your spiritual deadness, is not this then an indication that you have life?"
Today, I am thankful that God promises to renew us, to fill us with His spirit. I am encouraged knowing He is still at work in my life, even when I don't feel it or understand how. I am also increasingly burdened for the friend I originally saved this blog for. Realizing now how grateful I am to be uncomfortable in my current level of deadness, I feel called to intercede at greater levels for this individual. For far too long, I have seen him struggling to find any desire to draw near to God. So this afternoon, I renew my commitment to pray for an outpouring of God's spirit in both of our lives, a restored connection with God, and a revived understanding of Christ's power.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
You hide Your face, they are dismayed; You take away their spirit, they expire And return to their dust. You send forth Your Spirit, they are created; And You renew the face of the ground. Psalm 104:29-30
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. Isaiah 40:31




(You can read the inspiring post here.)

No comments: